Seagulls Over London (“SOL”) has been set up to enable football supporters of Brighton and Hove Albion (“B&HA”) who live or work in London to meet regularly in London to discuss matters of interest relating to B&HA. SOL is independent of B&HA.
The sound management of SOL is the responsibility of a Committee that includes the roles of Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer. Members appointed to these roles have to be proposed, seconded and voted for at an Annual General Meeting for which a quorum is 5 members.
The responsibilities of these roles are set out in Appendix 1.
The main activities of SOL are:-
Inviting officials of B&HA to attend meetings as guests in order to communicate to members of SOL the guests’ role and experiences in B&HA, and to discuss same with members, answering questions.
Increase the membership of SOL in support of B&HA’s aim to continuously increase its fan base.
The detailed activities of SOL are set out in Appendix 2.
SOL members must respect confidentiality in respect of all matters covered at meetings with B&HA officials, and will not publicise any information on social media or through other means unless expressly authorised by SOL Committee members and the representatives of BH&A who are in attendance.
SOL charges an annual membership fee for the purpose of, for example, covering the cost of venue hire or sponsoring B&HA. The fee is reviewed and voted on at an Annual General Meeting each year.
SOL transacts its financial matters through a bank account set up with Metro Bank with two signatories, only one of which is required to sign cheques or authorise electronic transfers.
Roles of Main Official Positions on SOL’s Committee
- To facilitate through the SOL committee the activities set out in Appendix 2 together with other activities added from time to time. Some of these activities may be handled directly by the Chairperson.
- To ensure appropriate controls are in place for the sound administration and financial management of SOL, and that all activities are carried out in compliance with the law.
- To build relationships with officials of B&HA.
- To take Minutes of SOL Committee Meetings and Annual General Meetings.
- To record proceedings of SOL Members’ Meetings for posting on the SOL website.
- To arrange venues and required facilities for all SOL meetings.
- To account for all income and outgo, and to prepare annual accounts for the Annual General Meeting.
- To collect and bank members’ subscriptions and donations.
The Activities of Seagulls Over London
- SOL arranges meetings for members every two to three months.
- The meetings are held in London
- The SOL Committee arranges for officials of B&HA to address the meetings and discuss matters relating to B&HA. SOL members are encouraged to provide constructive feedback to the B&HA speakers.
- SOL publicises the meetings through the SOL website [www.seagullsoverlondon.com], on the large screens at the Amex Community Stadium during B&HA matches, and in the B&HA match day programme.
- SOL attracts new members from supporters of B&HA who live or work in and around London and collects an annual membership fee from each one which is deposited in SOL’s current bank account. New members are required to complete an application form and a membership list is maintained. Attracting new members supports B&HA’s aim to increase its fan base. Membership is expected to increase significantly from a starting point of 30 in 2017.
- SOL arranges for one of its members to represent SOL at APFSCIL (Association of Professional Football Supporters’ Clubs in London), for which there are monthly meetings.
- SOL provides a small degree of sponsorship of B&HA from time to time.
- SOL makes arrangements for members to view televised B&HA matches at an appropriate London venue.
- SOL liaises with other local independent B&HA supporters clubs based in Sussex and beyond.
- The SOL Committee meets quarterly to make decisions on all matters related to SOL’s activities, putting such decisions to a vote at Annual General Meetings where specified in this Constitution.
- SOL does not carry out any fundraising.